COIT20249 Assessment Details
Assessment Item 3—Report
Length: 2500 words
Students are required to write an academic report as per the format outlined in chapter 5 of the textbook. The report must follow the CQU APA referencing style.
The report is to be based on the following case study scenario about the use of Augmented Reality in Education.
Augmented Reality (AR) is a technology which enhances a user’s real-world view/environment by superimposing computer generated content in real time. The computer generated visual object is super imposed/overlayed on the real world object in such a way that it appears as if they co-exist in the same space as the real world environment, in real time. These visual objects can be images, video or animation. Although augmented reality has existed for quite some time, it is an evolving technology and there is huge interest in AR as of past few years. The application of Augmented Reality ranges from the retail, travel and tourism industry, gaming, education, engineering, manufacturing to the medical field, among many others. Business experts believe that usage of AR would attract more customers/users for business, without high operational cost. One of the advantages for business in using augmented reality is that, some of the platform/hardware (i.e., smart phones and tablet) that are used for AR application development are easily available. Using iPhone or Android AR application, users will be able to try on clothes without actually wearing it or to check if the furniture fits the interior before even buying the furniture. However, there are challenges as well, many business leaders are reluctant to change their business models and there is a skill shortage for AR in the industry. Ethics and security issues need to be looked into as well.
You are the Chief IT Consultant for a consulting company. One of your clients, XYZ University (XYZU), wants you to advise them on the possibility of using emerging “Augmented Reality” technology in their teaching method. Here are the details of your client:
XYZU is a large educational institute with multiple campuses in five different cities (Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, and Sydney) with the main campus in Canberra. It provides undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in all disciplines, with a student cohort consisting of both domestic students and international students from all over the world. XYZU, one of the largest educational institutes in the country, has noticed that their student enrollment number has decreased for the last few terms. So, XYZU is looking into all possible areas of improvement to increase their enrolment numbers. As a part of this strategy, XYZU is thinking of improving their teaching methods by incorporating some cutting edge technology, instead of traditional teaching methods. Recently, the management team has heard of augmented reality technology and believe that it might improve the student learning experience, but they do not have expertise within the organization. Management have also heard that usage of augmented reality might also reduce operational costs (for some disciplines) and they think that these savings can be used to improve student services, which will increase their students’ satisfaction ratings. XYZU would like you to investigate the technology involved with augmented reality and the challenges and opportunities of AR. XYZU is also interested to know the infrastructure/hardware/physical setup and training required, and costs involved in incorporating augmented reality in their teaching.
You and your team need to gather information about augmented reality, and as the chief IT consultant, your task is also to critically analyze the suitability of augmented reality in teaching for your client.
You have to complete this investigation and write a report for XYZU in the next three weeks. Since this is an initial investigation, the report does not require in-depth technical details (the report is aimed for both technical and non-technical stakeholders).
Your research and the subsequent report should cover the following tasks:
1. Definition of augmented reality and the up to date developments in the field. This investigation must consider at least four different types of industries (except education) that use/can use augmented reality. You should provide detailed examples for all four cases.
2. Investigate application of augmented reality in education industry. Based on these findings, propose three disciplines (for XYZU) that could incorporate augmented reality in their students’ learning process. Provide details of your proposal explaining how AR will be incorporated in the teaching for the chosen disciplines. As part of this analysis, you might consider any two of the following topics (or you can choose other topics as well):
· The potential advantages and disadvantages of the applications,
· The infrastructure/hardware requirement, and
· Costing involved incorporating augmented reality in their teaching.
Please provide your recommendations at the end of the report.
3. Based on the information that you gathered, analyze critically how augmented reality could meet your client’s goal. Your analysis should also include potential advantages/disadvantages, costing, and ethical and/or security issue that your client needs to consider in this case.
Specifically your report should include the following (word count details are approximate guidelines):
1. Title page: unit code and name, assessment number, report title, assessment due date, word count (actual), student name, student number, CQU email address, campus lecturer/tutor, and unit coordinator. If applicable, add extension request ID and the new due date. Must be formatted to a standard required for a professional/business report. Check week 6 materials for example of a professionally formatted title page. Not included in the word count.
2. Executive summary: should include the purpose of the report, the problem including key issues considered and how they were investigated, your findings, and overview of your recommendations. This part should be approximately three quarters of an A4 page but must not be longer than one (1) A4 page. Not included in the word count.
3. Table of Contents (ToC): should list the report topics using decimal notation. Need to include the main headings and subheadings with corresponding page numbers, using a format that makes the hierarchy of topics clear. Because you are including a ToC the report pages should be numbered in the footer as follows: title page has no page number; and main text to have Arabic numerals commencing at 1. Create the ToC using MS Word’s ToC auto-generator rather than manually typing out the ToC.
4. organization as given in the case scenario including any assumptions, a concise overview of the problem you have been asked to research, the main aims/purpose of the report, the objectives to be achieved by writing the report (include the tasks outlined in the case study) and how you investigated the problem. Provide an outline of the sections of the report. Should be approximately 250 words.
5. Body of the report (use appropriate headings in the body of the report.): Define key terms you will use in your report that are directly related to the problem and the technology considered. Then present your ideas on the topic and discuss the information you found in your research that was relevant to the report’s objectives. Provide an analysis of the information that you gathered. Ensure that you explore the tasks listed in the case study scenario. In your discussion, examine the issues from a global perspective as well as from the local perspective (of the fictional organization that is the center of this report).
Do NOT use generic words such as ‘Body, Body of the Report, Tasks’ as section headings. Create meaningful headings and subheadings that reflect the topic and content of your report. Should be approximately 1850 words.
6. Conclusion: restate the purpose of the report and key issues investigated and the related findings based on your research and analysis. Explain the significance of your findings for addressing the problem stated in the case scenario and any limitations. State how your report has achieved its objectives and any future work to be considered. Should be approximately 250 words.
7. Recommendations: 3 to 5 recommendations required. The recommendations must be based on your findings and proposed solutions discussed in the body of the report. Format according to the Report Writing Guidelines discussed in the Unit. Should be approximately 150 words.
8. Reference list. Not included in the word count.
9. Appendices if necessary. Not included in the word count.
Note: Additional information regarding this assignment may be placed on the Moodle Unit website as required. Check the Moodle Unit website at least once a week for further information relating to the report. Regular access to the Moodle Unit website is a requirement of this Unit.
Other Assessment Requirements
Your response should be structured as a report (chapter 5 of textbook), written in accordance with standard academic writing principles (chapter 4 of textbook). The report must be written using your own words with any in text citations clearly marked (see Referencing Style subsection below). You may discuss the assessment task with other students and the lecturing staff but you must WRITE the report YOURSELF in your own words.
You will need to conduct research to support your arguments using at least ten (10) but no more than 15 current references. Note that all the references you choose to use should be evaluated using the Triple-R framework in the research stage of preparing your Report (do NOT include this evaluation in the Report). You must have a minimum of ten (10) current references in your reference list. At least six (6) of these references should be from refereed academic journals and conference proceedings. Other references could be sourced from books, industry websites and magazines. All sources should be current that is, dated 2013 or later. Minimum requirements relate to a Pass mark. You are encouraged to use more than the minimum requirements (up to 15 for a HD mark for References 2 criterion) for a better quality outcome to your report through improving the quality of your analysis.
The assignment should demonstrate a logical flow of discussion, and be free from typographical, spelling and grammatical errors. It should be prepared in MS-Word (or equivalent) using 12 point font (Times New Roman), 1.5 line spacing and margins of 2.54 cm. The final outcome must be clean and tidy.
It is highly recommended that you submit your assignment to the Academic Learning Centre (ALC) AT LEAST ONE WEEK before the due date. The ALC can check your report for correct structure, referencing, paragraphing and some language issues.
Your report must include in-text referencing and a correctly cited list of references ordered alphabetically by surname of first author, in accordance with the CQU APA referencing style of referencing as referred to in the American Psychological Association. The report must be written using your own words with any in text citations clearly acknowledged using the CQU APA referencing style.